Useful Information


    posted 14 May 2011 13:04 by Debbie Laws   [ updated 1 Jul 2011 22:26 ]

    I would strongly advise anyone getting married to take out Wedding Insurance - read the following:

    Wedding Insurance
    The average cost of a wedding in the UK is currently reported to be between £16,000 and £20,000. For most couples, that will be the third most expensive purchase they will ever make! You don't think twice about insuring your home or your car, so the same should apply to insuring your wedding too.

    Despite what many people think, wedding insurance doesn't just cover you should the bride or groom get 'cold feet'. Actually it doesn't cover you at all if one of you decide to call it off! Wedding insurance is there to provide cover should say the venue gets double booked, the photos do not come out properly, the best man rips his hired suit or the wedding car breaks down on its way to the wedding. 

    The top 10 things claimed on wedding insurance policies can be found here:

    Policies are not that expensive either, with cover starting from around £20 for smaller weddings and cover for the average wedding costing about £60. Given that this represents a similar cost to perhaps inviting just one additional guest, wedding insurance is certainly worth it for peace of mind. 

    Written by Adam Leyton from, a comparison website for wedding insurance listing many of the UK's leading providers

    Getting married in the UK

    posted 17 Jan 2011 13:51 by Debbie Laws   [ updated 27 Mar 2013 03:29 ]

    Getting married in the UK
    Firstly choose the venue of where your civil marriage or civil partnership ceremony will take place. A civil ceremony can take place in a venue anywhere in England and Wales that is licensed for marriages and civil partnerships. Check with registrar's local to the venue that they are able to officiate on the date you have chosen. You must give notice of marriage or civil partnership in the district where you live. The notices are valid for one year in England and Wales only (for the specified venue - if you change the venue, then you must both give fresh notices). You must take the relevant documents with you, i.e. passports and relevant documents relating to any previous marriages/civil partnesrships, name change deeds and any other documents required by your local Registrar. You will need to check the fees for giving notice. The authorities for your marriage to take place will be issued after 16 clear days (as long as paperwork is all in order). You are advised to collect and take to the Registrars - of the district where marriage will take place, or (if in a religious building) to the minister, who will conduct your ceremony. Bear in mind if you are thinking of getting married in a religious building (any denomination other than Church of England), it must be within your local residency or you must worship at that building, otherwise by law, you cannot marry there. For instance you cannot choose a church in the countryside and decide to marry there because it looks pretty!, and you must give your notices of marriage at your local Register Office. If however it is a Church of England, then in the first instance you need to contact the minister of the Church and they will advise you accordingly, as the Church of England law differs in some ways. If you hold a nationality other than British, or residency outside of the UK, please contact the Local Register Office to obtain the correct information for your marriage.
    Please note - the legalities for a wedding or civil partnership must be done by the couple. No-one can do it on their behalf.

    Getting married in Greece

    posted 25 Aug 2010 04:08 by Debbie Laws   [ updated 27 Mar 2013 03:31 ]

    Getting Married in Greece, I would strongly advise that you initially contact the Greek authorities and determine exactly what documentation you need. (if you don't have the correct documents - you will not be getting married!!)
    If you are two British People getting married in Greece, you will need a Lex Loci (Certificate of Non-Impediment) available from the Register Office in the district where you live. You will both have to attend your relevant Register Office and give your legal notices, you will need to check the fee for giving notice, and you will need to take the relevant documents with you, i.e. your passports, proof of address, any previous marriage or name change documents. Also you need to know the district and country of where you will be married. In Greece, Certificates of Non-Impediment are valid for 3months only, from date of issue which is 16 clear days after giving notice.
    If you are a British subject marrying a Greek National (or any other national), then you only will have to do the same as above, but the paperwork will be issued after 21 clear days. The other party should contact the relevant authorities, in Greece or their country of nationality. 
    You will most likely have to have the documents stamped by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and maybe also translated into Greek. You will also need a copy of your full birth certificate, (not a photocopy) I have been told that the Greek authorities keep all the documents submitted. You can obtain full birth certificates from the Register Office in the district where you were born, or from The General Register Office. You will also need original copies of any name change deeds you may have had done or any divorce documents.
    Also you must also check the residency requirements. In some countries you must have been there for a specific period of time before you are able to get married.
    BUT - most importantly: check the requirements needed, first with Greek Authorities, either in Greece where you are getting married or the Greek Consulate in London (not by hearsay or travel companies or even wedding planners!) The legalities of marriage change from time to time so we advise to check with the relevant authorities first, we are not always updated with changes immediately.

    1-3 of 3